West Caspian University has released information regarding the death of students from Sri Lanka, who died in a fire that occurred in the Sabail district, Baku last night.
Report informs citing the University that two Sri Lankan citizens, Malsha Sandeepani and Tharuki Amaya, who died from smoke poisoning as a result of a fire in a two-story residential building, attended a pre-university English language course at Western Caspian University.
"As a rule, foreigners apply for these courses individually or through various agencies providing services in this area. In this case, the Sri Lankan women applied through the Agency to participate in preparatory English courses at Western Caspian University. The University provided them with information about the conditions of the introductory sessions, as well as informed them that the University does not have a hostel and does not offer a service for renting apartments.
"Later, the named foreigners were admitted to the training course on August 20, 2019, by order number 144 on August 11, 2019.
"The foreign listeners came to Azerbaijan, rented apartments and lived there on their own.
"As a Western Caspian University, we are deeply saddened by this tragedy and extend our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the foreigners who have changed their lives," the University said.