Hong Kong police arrested three men accused of fabricating a carjacking incident to steal $3.6 million worth of iPhones last week, Report informs referring to South China Morning Post.
Two men, aged 22 and 30, and their 34-year-old employer were apprehended in Tsuen Wan on Saturday, less than 24 hours after the alleged robbery was reported, according to police.
The three suspects, detained on suspicion of conspiracy to steal, were still in police custody.
The case came to light at 11 pm on Friday when the two younger men sought help from a security guard at Tong Yan San Tsuen in Yuen Long, claiming they were assaulted and pushed out of their truck in a robbery.
According to the force, the vehicle was carrying 43 boxes of mobile phones estimated to be worth millions.
The duo told police that two knife-wielding robbers jumped into their truck on Ta Chuen Ping Street in Kwai Chung earlier the same day and assaulted them before ordering them to drive the vehicle to Yuen Long.
Mid-journey, the suspects said they were ordered to pull over at an unknown location, where another two assailants turned up and unloaded the cargo from the vehicle.
The group then headed to Tan Kwai Tsuen in Yuen Long, where the suspects said they were pushed out of the vehicle which then sped away.