Baku. 12 July. AZ/ Fidan Guliyeva was born on January 18, 1998 in Ganja, Azerbaijan, where she lived until the age of 5. In 2003, Fidan moved to Moscow, Russia together with her family. She studied in a middle school in Moscow for four years. Later she returned back to Ganja and continued her studies at Middle School No.32 which she graduated from with distinction in 2015. She successfully participated in a number of Olympiads such as those in Mathematics and Russian (Moscow), and in Biology (Ganja, Azerbaijan) Moreover, Fidan plays violine and sang in the chorus. In 2015, she graduated from the school with distinction, scored 677 points during the university entrance examinations and was admitted to Chemical Engineering Programme at Baku Higher Oil School (BHOS). During a one year study at the foundation programme at BHOS Fidan demonstrated the highest achievements in ICT and English, and recently she managed to be distinguished among her fellow students scoring 8.5 points in IELTS on a 9-point grading scale.
Report informs referring to the press service of BHOS, in an interview Fidan Guliyeva spoke about her achievements and shared personal impresssions:
- How did you manage to score 8.5 in IELTS? What kind of responsibilities have you undertaken to achieve that success?
- During the preparatory phase, I was trying to learn as many English words and phrases as possible. Every day I was solving the Listening and Reading tests thus improving my abilities. Also, I was writing many essays. I would also like to underline the fact that time management is one of the main preconditions for achieving high scores in IELTS, as the time given during the tests is quite limited. My time management skills helped me a lot during the examinations. Also, I am quite a responsible and committed person. Due to suchtraits, I have always managed to do everything at a high level.
- What is the role of BHOS teachers in your success?
- Of course, their role is great. Before being admitted to BHOS, I had very limited information about IELTS. My teachers’ roles, especially the one of Valida Rzaguliyeva in my success are highly valuable, because without their hard work it would be impossible for me to achieve this kind of success. I am very grateful to them. Mrs. Rzaguliyeva applies quite a specific teaching methodology, with the help of which she can track and find out every student’s achievement and challenge. She used to provide us with the recommendations on the topics we were weak at, thus improving our knowledge on specific subjects. For instance, Mrs. Rzaguliyeva taught the students the ways to improve their writing styles or better answer the questions in the Speaking test. She provided us with various materials for getting prepared for the exams and used to explain different test solving techniques. Moreover, I liked the fact that she was very strict. Eventually, there were a lot of things to learn and studying was quite challenging. However, the final results proved that it was well worth the hard work.
- Would you like to continue your studies abroad after scoring 8.5 points in IELTS?
- Frankly speaking, I’ve never thought about that. Today, I am quite happy of being a student of BHOS.The academic environment, experienced faculty and the conditions here are altogether the factors required for any student to become a highly qualified expert.
- What are your impressions about the achievement you’ve made?
- Honestly speaking, I haven’t expected such a high score. I was quite surprised when I saw the result and thought that there was a mistake in the certificate. I wasn’t very confident about myself and thought that the maximum score I would get would be 8 points. But I believe that since I was too much concentrated on finding the right answers to the questions, I managed to answer correctly most of the questions, especially in Listening and Reading tests. Besides, during the writing and speaking tests, I tried mostly to use the words and phrases that I’ve learned during the foundation courses. Eventually, I am very happy of this kind of result and would like to thank the BHOS management and my teachers for that. They actually helped me a lotto improve my language skills.