Iran has confirmed more than 2,200 new cases of COVID-19 infection. Over 143 people have died over the past day, Advisor to country's Health Ministry Alireza Vahabzadeh said.
Report informs, citing RIA Novosti, that Iranian authorities announced the 'second wave' of coronavirus spreading in the country.
2,206 new cases of coronavirus contraction have been detected since yesterday, taking the total infection count to 27,017, the official wrote on Twitter.
He said more than 9,600 people had been cured. Over the past day, the COVID-related death toll has climbed to 2,077, he added.
During the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic, Iran reported its first confirmed cases of SARS-CoV-2 infections on 19 February 2020 in Qom.
Iran became the center of the spread of the virus in the Middle East, with more than ten countries tracing their cases back to Iran by 28 February. The government's actions include cancellation of public events and Friday prayers, closure of schools, universities, shopping centers and bazaars as well as holy shrines, and banning of festival celebrations. Economic measures were also announced to help families and businesses. The government has rejected plans to quarantine entire cities and areas, and heavy traffic between cities continued despite its intention to limit travel.
Iran now plans to restrict people's mobility, as the coronavirus-related deaths continue to grow.