Two more bodies were recovered from the landslip site at Pettimudy, near Munnar, bringing the overall toll to 58. As per official estimates, 12 persons are still missing in the landslip, which buried four estate lanes in the plantation area of the Nayamakkad division, Report says, citing TASS.
The bodies recovered on Sunday were identified as those of Chinnathai, 62, and Nishanthini, 20. They were rescued from a site nearly 20 meters from the river where the landslip debris had settled.
The search teams led by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) are concentrating on the river and vicinity now. Eighteen bodies have so far been recovered from the river or its banks.
Rekha Nambiar, senior commandant, southern battalion, said the search would continue by the government decision. The search on Saturday had yielded no results.
A meeting attended by people’s representatives, officials and relatives of the victims in Munnar on Saturday, decided to continue the search operation till the last recovered body.