Slovenian shooter Rajmond Debevec, who won a gold medal in the 300m prone at the 53rd ISSF World Championship in Baku, became the winner of the world championship for the third time at the age of 60.
The athlete also renewed the world record for points scored.
After the awards ceremony, an experienced shooter who has been involved in this sport since 1977 answered Report's questions.
- At the age of 60 you again became the world champion. What are your impressions?
- I am happy, this is the third gold medal that I win at the World Championships, and at the Olympic Games I won three medals. One gold and two bronze medals. Having achieved success at this age, I showed the whole world that there are no age limits in shooting sports. The conditions at the Baku Shooting Center are also excellent. Sometimes the wind creates uneven conditions. But today everything was fair. The lighting system is excellent. A light breeze blew. But that didn't stop us from shooting. I am very pleased with the end result.
- Did you become a champion thanks to experience or young people do not know how to shoot well?
- If you noticed, I became the champion with a difference of one point. My opponents who won medals were 29 years old. They are good shooters too. A certain role in my success was related to luck. That's why I became a champion.
- You embellished this achievement by repeating the world record...
- Of course, this record cannot be beaten. This is the maximum. I just repeated it.
- Do you plan to participate in the Summer Olympic Games, which will be held in Paris, regardless of age?
- At the competitions in Baku, I focused on non-Olympic sports. I did not compete in the events that gave a license to Paris. Apparently, I will not be at the next Olympics.
- What is the reason for your desire not to participate in the Olympics?
- This is a question related to my age. My physical condition does not allow me to stand on my feet for a long time. In this form, I shot prone, which is more convenient for me.
- What are your impressions of Azerbaijan and the Baku Shooting Center?
- This is my third visit to Azerbaijan. For the first time I came to the European Games. Later I performed at the European Championships. Of course, Gabala is also beautiful. But Baku is unique. If the shooter feels good where he or she is, then everything is fine. And he or she shoots fine, too.