FIFA rejects cancel president elections

FIFA to elect new president in February 2016

Baku. 21 October. REPORT.AZ/ World football's governing body FIFA has confirmed it will hold the election for its next president at a special congress on 26 February.

Report informs referring to BBC, the election will determine who will succeed Sepp Blatter, who has been president since 1998.

Blatter, 79, and vice-president Michel Platini have both been suspended for 90 days amid corruption allegations, which both men deny.

Platini is seeking the next presidency, as is Prince Ali bin al-Hussein.

Frenchman Platini, president of European football's governing body Uefa, submitted his candidacy papers earlier this month, but FIFA says it cannot recognise his candidacy while his ban is in place and he cannot campaign.

However, FIFA's electoral committee says it may allow him to stand if his suspension ends before the election date.

Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa of Bahrain is expected to contest the election. Former Trinidad and Tobago midfielder David Nakhid said he will stand, while ex-Tottenham defender Ramon Vega is considering doing likewise.

South Korean Chung Mong-joon, another confirmed candidate, claimed his campaign has been "sabotaged" by a six-year ban from FIFA's ethics committee. On Tuesday, the 64-year-old's bid to lift the ban was rejected a Zurich district court.

Swiss Blatter is under criminal investigation over claims he made a £1.35m payment to Platini in 2011, as well as allegations he signed a contract "unfavourable" to FIFA.

If you find out orphographic mistake in the text, please select mistaken part of the text and press Ctrl + Enter.

Last added

All news